Monday, May 4, 2015

Sparing The Rod?



Welcome to Mommy Monday


Tonight I have a question for my readers. I know there are some families who choose not to spank or pop their children, but we definitely believe in it. It's Biblical, and of course we want to follow those rules as close as possible. So my question is: At what age range did/do you start discipling your child?

I've heard quite a few responses already. My sister, Tosha, said she feels it's pointless until age 2. Some parents have said they started popping on the hand after their child turned 1. We've had to start popping Levi already too. He's gotten into the habit of throwing his toys, starting to bite, and slapping. It's not an all day long thing but we decided to go ahead and address the problem, so he doesn't continue the behavior. Anybody who is around him says he's a wonderful baby, and that always makes me feel like I'm doing my job right. I know when we get into the terrible two's that will most likely change... I feel like leading up to two and over, they want to test you to see how far they can go. So I feel strongly about popping on the hand (or leg, if it's something really bad), I feel like they need to know right off the bat that you won't let them get away with craziness. I've seen some parents that are extremely lenient and when their child hits two, it's just complete chaos.

Some parents might think this is awful and feel strong about "talking" rather than taking physical action. They might even feel so strong about it that they call CPS on some parents they see spanking their child in stores. Personally, I feel this is ignorance at it's finest. Now if you just slap or punch your child, of course that's going way too far. I've heard some people say they feel if they spank their children, their kids will want to hit others. I don't really agree with this. I feel that as parents it's our responsibility to establish a good foundation of authority. "Talking" or "time out", in my opinion, are not things that seem to get the job done. You can spend a lifetime talking to someone or reasoning, and they still won't ever change. However, if it's your child, there's no doubt it will be completely considered your fault if they end up not respecting rules and authority. We have the ability, right now, to teach our children, it's never too late.

The Bible is very clear about discipline, if you don't discipline your children you don't love them: 

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them." (Proverbs 13:24) 

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent." (Revelation 3:19)

Feel free to leave comments on my Facebook page or down below. 
Negativity is not tolerated here, be sweet:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS