Sunday, May 24, 2015

My Worst Misconception



Have you ever found yourself having that inner conversation about the church? Thinking that it only holds judgment and you don't have to go to love God or to be a Christian? I used to be this person. And I've had this conversation with myself and God plenty of times. Ever since I graduated high school, I said it would just be me and God, on our own together. I would listen to podcasts of sermons and make myself feel a little better about not attending. I don't mean to make this sound cliche, but I was wrong to ever doubt the church. When you start to doubt the church, it unfortunately is the beginning of doubting God's plans. 

I've read so many things about how awful the church can be and what so many assume that it holds. I've been to a few different ones and none of them have been the same. The church that we are members of now, it's unlike anything I've ever experienced. It's so attentive and passionate for God, and every Sunday leaves you feeling like God spoke directly to you. Most of the New Testament is Paul's letters to each of the churches. Filling those scrolls with instructions from the Holy Spirit. The church should not be a place of judgement, however it should be a place of change. Hearts, minds, bodies, all changing to follow Christ. It should be a place of repentance. Every time you attend a church service, you should not walk out the same person as when you first walked in. That's what I love about ours; when we worship it's not just singing, it's our Pastor praying over us, and us praying as well. Giving us the chance to ask for forgiveness, for whatever has gone on during the week in our lives that set us back. If we need healing he has the oil out and ready to anoint us, it's real. His people are being moved, saved, and healed. It always leaves me wondering, why aren't all churches like this? That is why I love it so much. It gives me the feeling of closeness to God's Word and the Holy Spirit, it feels like the closest thing to Heaven, it feels like home. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all other churches are doing it wrong, but each one has their own different routine or way of doing things.

There's a story in the Bible I always run back to because I feel like it's the story of my life. In Mark chapter 5, there's a woman who had been sick for a long time and came to a crowd gathered around Jesus, and she said to herself if she could only reach out and touch his clothes she would be healed. And because of that strong faith she was healed when she brushed his cloak against her skin. And Jesus wasn't mad at her, He was stunned by her faith. Now that I know what the church really holds, I'm always so eager to get there on Sunday morning. I always feel like that woman running after Jesus, "If I can only be in the presence of the Holy Spirit today, He will speak to my heart, make me stronger in His name."

I can tell you that the church is of great importance to God. From spiritual correction and discipline to tithing and so many other lessons. The only way for you to really know how important it really is, is if you read His Word for yourself and let Him speak to you about it. Even if you're going through a dry spell, make that effort to find a church you really love. It's one of the most life changing experiences I've ever had. Don't let Satan keep telling you that it's not for you.

"The words of our Pastor that impacted me the most were these: God wants our church to be an Ark, to bring as many people in as we can because the end is near. I've just never heard a preacher say it like that. God gave him a vision for our church, and it was a revelation to my spirit." -My Mom


"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." -Matthew 18:20

"So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." -Ephesians 4:11-13


With Love,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS