Monday, October 27, 2014

Beautifully Tethered



 For this Mommy Monday I would like to switch it up and dedicate it to all the amazing Daddys out there!

I have been eager to devote some time writing about my husband, Matthew. Of course, this blog was created by me and I do all the writing, but for my readers to understand the dynamic of our family, I would like for everyone to know a little more about my wonderful husband. This has been a whirlwind of experiences for us, getting married, then getting pregnant a few weeks later and having to become first time parents so quickly. Don't get me wrong, we have loved every second of it, but it is nice to finally slow down the pace of taking huge steps and enjoy our family. 

My husband has been so amazing through every obstacle. Not that getting married and having a baby are necessarily obstacles, but all the little twists that were in between.

The one thing I love most about Matthew is his determination. When he sets his mind on going for something he won't stop until it's finished or he's where he needs to be. I jumped the gun a little when I knew Matt was the man I was supposed to grow old with. He already had my ring and was on the road to a proposal but I wanted him to hurry up and do it. Don't ask me why, I guess I just needed that final confirmation that he also knew I was the one. That's the one time my determination got me. After we got engaged and were planning the wedding Matthew's persistence kicked in because we hit some bumps in the road. I had asked him if we should wait and take a longer engagement and he refused. All in all, I guess you could say we have always fought for each other, as in we are always determined to end up side by side. We've had our ups and downs but together we make an awesome team. I love when he finds ways to make me laugh when I'm upset, he's good at that. I love him so much. I could go on and on but I don't want you to put your finger in your mouth and make that puke face. 

However, from my perspective in our marriage, Matthews biggest weakness is babies. I'm just going to put it out there, he is not good with babies, especially newborns. I've read some other stories about moms having this same problem with their husbands, it just doesn't come as naturally for them as it does for us. At first I was angry, I thought it was a show or excuse to get out of helping. But Matthew was so scared to death of doing something wrong that it made him physically sick to his stomach. 

I will say I was disappointed at first, but on the other hand I was partially blinded because I was so ready to be a mom that I couldn't understand Matthews situation. The saying I heard the most while I was pregnant was, "No matter how hard you try, you'll never be fully prepared for a baby." This was obviously something I should've considered for Matthew's sake. We all make the mistake of automatically assuming this means financially. No. It doesn't.

But as Levi grows, Matt gets more and more attached and comfortable. I love watching them together, especially when Matthew gets home from work. Both him and Levi light up like fireworks when they see each other. It's breathtaking. Through all of this, I have learned to embrace our weaknesses. Matthews not good with babies, but you have to always remember it soon will pass. Matthew is a wonderful Daddy and I know as Levi gets older, they will become more and more inseparable. And I'm not perfect either. My biggest flaw since I've become a mom is always saying, "Just let me do it." I hardly ever let anyone else take the reins, and I know I need to work on that.

I made the decision long ago that I refuse to be the wife or mom full of resentment, I don't want to live like that. I want to love my family all the days of my life. My job is to stay home with Levi and nurture our family, Matthew's job is to provide and be the strong hand. I embrace mine and Matt's life together, both our strengths and weaknesses. It's what makes us beautifully tethered as one.

"A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives." (1 Corinthians 7:39 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS