Sunday, November 30, 2014

Home for the Holidays

Part 1:

I said in the beginning I would be honest about my journey as a Christian and I want to hold true to my promise. I had a whole long post written out to publish for my next topic, mainly talking about how frustrating and dysfunctional family can be. But we all already know this. We all have crazy families. The holidays are mostly about getting to spend time with your loved ones and some you don't get to see very often. I was going to talk about how hard it is to get through to some family members that being a Christian doesn't mean you can do all the wrong things, and still get to Heaven just because you believe in God. That's not how it works. It's really hard to witness or share your faith to family who are still confused about it, because they feel entitled to get to do or say anything they want around you because, of course, they're your family.

So enough of the ranting. I just want to say I'm thankful. Thankful to God for even getting these opportunities to share His word and His love with family. Thankful to get to show them that living for God is precious, and life changing and real. Thankful to get to show them that even though your family can be frustrating at times, you will always love them and be there for them no matter what. That even though some family might speak ill of us or deep down might not even like us that much, we still have the chance to show them the good in being Godly. Turning the other cheek and smiling.

So through the rest of the holidays remember that when you walk through the door or open the door, to be the light. You might be the only light of God they will ever see, so be a bright one. Be kind, patient, and love one another always.

"For God, who said, "Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ." -2 Corinthians 4:6

"You are the light of the world - like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden." -Matthew 5:14

___________________________________________
Part 2:

Our first Thanksgiving with Levi was a success although tiring as well. Both him and Matthew took off their nice clothes before pictures so I was the only one dressed up for the family picture. We went to Matthew's grandma's house first for his family and then to my sister, Tosha's, next for my family. We had to have my mom bring Levi home a little early because he definitely wasn't going to nap with kids running around everywhere. So we were very thankful to her for that, so we could spend a little extra time with the family.





This weekend we put up our Christmas tree and decorations. We even bought our first family ornament. I really want to make that a tradition each year for us to buy a family ornament, I think that's a cute idea. I got an ornament that's a star with a bell on the bottom because we all know we love in "It's A Wonderful Life" when the little girl says, "Every time a bell rings an Angel gets its wings." 




We also decided to go with traditional tree decorations this year, with the Christmas star, and candy canes and a few ornaments. I really want Levi's first Christmas to be about the true meaning and not just all the material things. For those of you who are thinking he won't remember, you're probably right, but the point is for right now in the moment he knows. He absolutely loves the Christmas tree, so I decided to take some pictures because it's adorable how much he loves it.




"She gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger..." -Luke 2:7

xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS